From Dr. Michael Welner, forensic psychiatrist, expert on criminal and deviant behavior:
1. Teach your children personal responsibility especially early on.
2. Stay away from violent video games.
3. Model empathy. Doing so will teach them to have regard for someone struggling.
4. Teach resilience when all seems hopeless. Encourage it.
5. Value creativity to gain structure and avoid destruction.
6. Value volunteerism to gain structure and avoid destruction.
Here's another link to an article which might be useful: http://living.msn.com/family-parenting/5-tips-on-talking-to-kids-about-scary-news#scptig.
- How to Talk with Children about events in CT.pdf (134.99 KB)